From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2020 17:23:21 -0800
> Smaller clusters in too large of a volume would run the risk of wetting
themselves
That is the question that's come to my mind.  Too small a cluster in too
large a cavity would be expected for several reasons to experience moisture
problems -- both condensation and dysentery.  I'd love to see more research
on this!

>I am guessing the lower bee insulating mantle is much tighter at the
bottom and the top mantle are can be "regulated" to let more or less heat
(moisture) out based on their needs.
This has been shown to be the case with swarms in warm conditions, but for
winter clusters, Omholt is suggesting exactly the opposite.  Think of this,
once the cluster reaches the lid, there can be no top convective
ventilation.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA