From:
Justin Kay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2020 15:17:09 -0500

> Talking with the bee community in my region it sounds like virtually
> everyone practices adding sugar throughout the winter whether it's needed
> or not.

In my experience, when sugar is added throughout the winter by hobby
beekeepers today is rarely done on an "as needed" basis, and more as a
matter of course. About 10 years ago I added candy bricks after hearing of
other's success with them. I didn't notice a difference in my overwintering
rates (although they ate the bricks willingly). I also didn't notice a
difference in my overwintering rates when I discontinued their use.

Many 1-5 year beekeepers in my local area love putting sugar on in the late
fall or early winter. Those that can afford it buy the winter patties (not
exactly the same thing though). Those that have the time make bricks. Those
that have neither do mountaincamp. When I asked everyone in my local club
why they did it, no one could indicate that it increased overwintering
rates. Some indicated they felt guilty not being able to do anything for
their bees in the winter. Some indicated if it didn't hurt, why not. Some
shrugged their shoulders.

Some like throwing unnecessary feed at them because it makes the beekeeper
feel better, which is fine by me. Hobby beekeeping can be as cheap or as
expensive as you want it to be.