From:
Garret Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2020 13:39:45 -0500
Randy,
"In the final article I describe Omholt's explanation (currently pretty well
supported by the observations of others) that the bees in the cluster,
rather than depending upon passive diffusion of moisture, instead actively
control the forced ventilation of moisture-laden air out of the BOTTOM of
the cluster, rather than the top."

This has me wondering about the idea that I hear so often that placing dry sugar or bricks  above the winter cluster will control in hive moisture? Could it be that it doesn't do what some think it is doing or even achieving the opposite by adding moisture to the cluster?

I've only ever used winter feeding of sugar as an emergency when a colonies stores are too low, as I was taught to make sure they are well prepped and organized before going into winter. Talking with the bee community in my region it sounds like virtually everyone practices adding sugar throughout the winter whether it's needed or not.