Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2020 10:04:10 -0500
I got a good chuckle out of this:

A Letter from Cuba.

There is no use of trying to keep the pure black bee here for they will starve in summer, and the pure Italian will live through the summer all right, and when it comes Fall the queens stop breeding, the workers fill up the brood chambers with honey, and you are but little better off with one race pure than with another, so we are obliged to give our preference to the hybrids, for they will "rustle" in the summer and winter alike.

These hair-splitting points about bands, the yellow or the black Italians and the nice spacing of the combs are of no use to us here. We must adopt the bees and the methods to give us the best results, and facilitate rapid manipulation. When we have tons of honey in the apiary waiting to be extracted so the bees can fill the combs again, we can not wait to be so very nice in spacing the combs in the top boxes. We get seven of them in the upper story the best we can without wasting time, and when we come around again in six or seven days they are full. That is the kind of spacing we do and that is the kind that pays the bee-keeper here the best.

If I had but one colony of bees I think I would be very particular with them in spacing their combs, I would bring them to such a state of perfection in breeding that each worker should have at least seven stripes, then I would talk about them and fill the bee journals full of my experience as a bee-keeper, never forgetting to tell the reader that I started in the spring with one colony, took nine pounds of honey and increased to — nothing ; and I never will forget to tell the dear reader how I managed those bees in order to get that amount of honey from them. Twaddle ! nonsense ! yet how much of this we see in the bee papers.

A. W. OSBORN. Punta Brava, Cuba, W. I, Dec. 4. 1891