Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2019 22:02:57 -0500
> Similarly, as far as the "utility" of a hive, prior to varroa, in at least some areas you could put bees in a hive, and then perform zero management other than to pull some honey each year. Colonies just took care of themselves year after year.

Not where I learned beekeeping. In San Diego County, in the 70s and 80s, AFB was rampant and widespread. Most amateurs had it and most didn't know what it was. Many commercial beekeepers kept antibiotics in the hives year round. I saw amateurs make tons of honey without knowing much about bees -- but sooner or later AFB took them out.

From Prof. Roger Morse's "Short History of the Empire State Honey Producers’ Association" --

> Mr. N. D. West gave a report on bee inspection in New York State for the year 1901 at the annual meeting of the National Bee-keepers’ Association, held that year in September in Buffalo. His statistical report was as follows: Colonies examined 14,763; Colonies diseased 4,689; 32%.

> American Foulbrood in New York State: 1929: Examined 39,073; AFB 2,583; 6.6%. -- 1959: Examined 79,030; AFB 721; 0.91%

What this shows is the effect of study, knowledge and expertise on the problem of health in the honey bee. Know nothing beekeepers contribute nothing to the health of bees and the beekeeping community.

PLB