From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2019 16:05:25 -0600
a couple of Paul Hosticka snips followed by > my comments....
I remember when the discussion was whether or not it was better to destroy your colonies in the fall and start fresh in the spring. Packages at that time were around $20.
>pre varroa the business strategy was to kill off 2/3 of the hives you took north and then make up difference via splitting and new queens in the early spring.  This system allowed you to harvest the maximum amount of honey and to set the less desirable combs of honey aside as the first round of feeding in the late spring (when you returned north).

On the subject of how some have success with their TF management it seems that we first should determine if it is the bees, the geography or the management. I'll admit that I suspect management but I'm open minded.
>Well I am definitely am treatment free if you are talking about treatments for varroa.  As to you hyposthesis I think the state apiarist here in Texas feels the same but like in most of these choices I typically ask "why not all three'.

When we say TF what does that mean?
>good question and one that really confuses me.  it seems the requirements in the printed press to be treatment free can vary quite a bit.

What is the moral purity of TF or Blackbox beekeeping?
>Well I would guess with some success the beekeeper sleeps a bit easier and worries less.

Gene in Central Texas..