Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2019 23:40:48 +0000
Back in 1993 I had a phone call from the head gardener of a nearby manor house, then a police training college, to say that a swarm had emerged from one of the chimneys and that, by banging on a sheet of galvanised iron, he had persuaded them to come down to a tree in the kitchen garden.  I went and collected them with an audience of policemen. Some years later I was talking with bee scientist John Atkinson who told me that he used to live nearby and that there were always bees there until he left in 1948.  There are still bees in the house now, but not in the chimney. Chris