From:
Scott Koppa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2019 16:29:47 -0400
Maybe we can look at this another way. As small- to medium- size keepers we can’t control DCAs, and therefore can’t really affect selection in any meaningful or durable way. But we certainly can screw up life for the other beeks around us. So how about we all agree to just control what we can. Maintain a stock that hits your desired beekeeping sweet spot with regard to honey production, gentleness, etc, (cull undesirable queens, graft from your best queens if you wish, or replenish from a reputable breeder who can exert some control over DCAs), monitor and treat for mites to keep them (and their associated viruses) at the lowest level possible, manage to prevent swarms which will inevitably morph into mite factories, and if you’re at a latitude/altitude that experiences winter, provide adequate stores to get your bees through that period. That way, you have an apiary with which you feel comfortable, maintain beneficial traits in any of your drones that find their way into someone else’s "breeding program," and avoid creating havoc in your neighbor’s beeyard.

Just a thought.

Skillman, NJ