From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2019 17:25:35 -0800

> >Is this the same ol' same ol' or is something new this year? Any first
> hand
> news Randy?

Early reports (Nov and Dec) suggested that there would be a major shortage
of hives.  There was a shortage, but perhaps not quite as major as
expected.  I need to speak to more brokers in order to get a better idea.

More problematic in the northern part of Calif's Central Valley were the
atmospheric river storms.  It's been rough.  Plenty of hives flooded--we
needed to drag many of ours to higher ground.  Compared to the southern
part of the Valley, the bloom was delayed, and the colonies went downhill
waiting for something to eat.

I suggested to my sons at the beginning of this week that they send out an
email to tell our customers that our nucs would be running at least two
weeks late.  An hour later I heard that other queen and package producers
were doing the same thing.

I suspect that the package bee industry will be hammered--weak colonies
don't produce excess bees to be shook.  And don't anyone expect early
queens (that is, if you want them properly mated).

The queen/package producers have had it good during our drought years.  Now
that we're back to normal flooding, mud, and snow, things are tougher.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA