From:
Trish Harness <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2019 09:54:50 -0500
I'm wondering if the OP meant AHB (Africanized Honey Bee)?  AFB (American Foul Brood) can seem like a reasonable abbreviation for AHB.  We don't usually refer to an AFB territory...

I have somewhat noticed that EHB (European Honey Bees) in my apiary are less likely to fly out of the frames at me when I am inspecting in Winter/Spring.  Makes me wonder if there are fewer guard bees and more younger bees, with less experience responding to a threat?  I don't know if Juanse or others with AHB experience a 3+ month dearth in incoming pollen, which should result in a similar patter of older (guard) bees dying off and younger (less experienced) bees being more prevalent.

From what little I have heard about inspecting AHB (Jim Tew tells some stories in the podcast Beekeeping Today, hosted by Kim Flottum and Jeff Ott), it probably doesn't matter, they are kamikaze from a young age... but interested in hearing about others' experiences with AHB...