HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2023 19:44:10 +0000
base64
From:
"mjackson arbrecroche.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Ellen,

I have hemmed and hawed about contacting you, in part because I am not sure about getting to the SHA in Oakland. But I think I would like to contribute if you have not closed the door on accepting abstracts. There are two case studies that I think would fit into the topic of your session, but let me run them by you first. Then, if you are still accepting abstracts and if this sounds acceptable, I will clean it up.

One of the case studies revolves around the issue of projects going to the lowest bidder, because the client is the one who gets to decide that. What results from this, at least in the case with which I was involved, is the lack of experience, knowledge, and ability of the proposal winner to understand the site(s) and investigate it or them properly and hence a loss of the site and its data and the significance it might hold for descendants as well as archaeologists. In this specific case, the sites, which I identified through documents research, were in all probability the (ephemeral) homes of the self emancipated in a community in southwest Michigan known to have welcomed and supported them. In tandem with the problem of client-chooses-lowest bidder is the issue that those with little or no experience or training in historical archaeology are the ones investigating historic sites. While we might no longer be referred to as doing  ‘hysterical archaeology’ (remember that?), there is the persistent and lingering problem that there appear to be some number (a lot?) of pre-contact period archaeologists who think just anyone can do this and slough off the historic sites and artifacts to their workers with only undergrad degrees and no experience. (Though I have been amazed and disappointed more than once by some I’ve hire with Master’s degrees from programs that have historical archaeology programs and whose professors I know, at their lack of ability to tell a cut square nail from a wire nail, or to i.d. nineteenth c. ceramics. This is off topic and I won’t delve into, but it is worth noting that something is going on there, too.)

In the second case study, for which I just completed the report, the location of the log home of free born African Americans who migrated to Michigan from New England  might have been found if the site could have been investigated via the typical phase I shovel testing and phase II excavation, instead of monitoring a bulldozer because the location was a paved parking lot. As it was, the effects of a bulldozer, in at least this case, may have served to destroy the site before it could be observed. While I have not yet been able to locate descendants, that effort continues.

As an aside, both of these cases have been heartbreaking for me, and my wish and goal is to see these approaches changed - though I am not entirely hopeful.

I won’t preach or rant - though it sounds like it here, but endeavor to make it a paper that points out current problems and issues that remain with us today. But I have to say, sometimes when I see some of the work that passes for CRM, it unfortunately reminds me of what Binford said, to the effect that if it is not going to be done well or right, why even do it? Just to make money?!?

If this is anything that fits into your vision for this symposium, please let me know. I will clean up the above to an appropriate length and get an abstract to you asap.

 Thanks.

Misty

Misty Jackson, Ph.D., RPA 16457

Arbre Croche Cultural Resources LLC

214 S Main Street

Leslie, Michigan 49251

517-525-3060

arbrecroche.com

Center for Maritime and Underwater Resource Management

cmurm.org