Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 2021 08:28:25 -0800
From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
>  the implication here is that no open-mating scenario will be 100%
certain, no matter how remote, no matter how saturated with drone colonies
of the desired lines.

A breeding program likely will not require 100% certainty.  Two studies by
USDA indicated that 95%+ mating control could be obtained by simple
flooding by managed hives.
Another option that I've been considering are four locations where we've
been placing hives for some years during summer.  Three are at high
elevation, one in an isolated, but irrigated desert valley. There are zero
honey bees on flowers before we move our hives in, indicating an absence of
honey bees within flight range.
100% certainty, no.  But enough to manage matings, likely yes.

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
530 277 4450
ScientificBeekeeping.com