Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2020 11:30:47 -0500
Sender:
From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
> By the way, I have hard copies of the entire
> 20th century of Bee Culture and the ABJ.
> I can assure you that the majority of it is
> *not* indexed for discovery on "the internet."

ABJ and BC are beekeeper magazines, not peer-reviewed journals.  The gap here is the one between "history" and "science".

> Bee World and several other science leaning journals are completely available "online."

This is because these other journals ARE peer-reviewed journals that move the ball down the field, and are of value to today's researcher.  If ABJ or BC were of value to science, they would also be made available online, as funds always exist to digitize what is commonly requested/needed.

A new arrival is "2 Million Blossoms" (http://2millionblossoms.com), which is what happens when a researcher is hired to be the editor of a bee magazine, only to be delegated no actual editorial authority.  She quits and starts her own quarterly, a mix of peer-reviewed work and general-interest articles in the style of "Smithsonian" magazine, as the photography and layout standards are very high.  It is very likely to be indexed by science/reference librarians, but no DOIs on articles yet.

Taking what is said in old beekeeping articles with a mere "grain of salt" is not sufficient.  One needs a 50-lb sack.

The Mann Library at Cornell put the first 20 or so years of ABJ online, and University Microfilms (now "ProQuest") did complete sets of both ABJ and Bee Culture on first microfilm, and later, microfiche, as they did with nearly all US "periodicals" .