Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2020 08:20:39 -0700
From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
>  >Colony Size, Rather Than Geographic Origin of Stocks, Predicts
> Overwintering Success in Honey Bees

This study was not about testing "locally-adapted" stocks, it was about
testing stocks supplied from producers residing in different geographical
regions (I do not know whether any of them claimed that their stocks were
"locally adapted").

I would have expected the paper to go into detail the breeding history of
the stocks, but it didn't.  Some queen producers routinely bring in outside
stock for various reasons (maintaining genetic diversity, possible "hybrid
vigor," testing of alternate bloodlines).  There is also the question of
control of their matings.

It's well-known that honey bees are very adaptable.  California-reared
queens have been sold to Canadian beekeepers for many years.  But if there
were not an advantage to local adaptation, there would be no
evolutionarilly-established races of *Apis mellifera -- *there would only
be one generic species.

"Local adaptation" of managed bee stocks must take into account the bees'
environments cavity type (Langstroth hives, or other) as well as management
goals and techniques.

I don't advertise my own stock, and am not looking for any more customers.
When people ask me whether my stock would be suitable for them, I tell them
that I can't say, since I select for bees that are a good fit for my
environment and specific business model, as opposed to surviving on their
own.  I select for colonies that are gentle, perform well in the Sierra
foothills with supplemental feeding in late summer, and grade well in
almonds.  In addition, I'm now putting strong selective pressure for true
resistance to varroa.

There's a big difference between "locally adapted" and "commercial stock of
geographic origin."
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA