Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2020 10:34:35 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
From:
> Well, count me in that minority. The bees we have originally came from the Alps, anyway.
> What lineage are you referencing?  It’s not that clear if you mean our domestic bee stock.

Hi Bill
I have just been reading about the early importations of Italian bees by Dr. Parsons of Flushing, NY. The bees came from the region of the Swiss Alps. Carniolans are from nearby Kranj. I think what we have in the US is a primarily a mix of these two, not that they were ever really distinct other than their coloration.

for example

Italian bees survived the glaciation on the Apennine Penninsula; while other research found a similar enclave on the Balkan Peninsula. Bees with yellow abdomens were classified as “Italian” regardless of the location of their occurrence ... Originally, the dark-colored Apis m. mellifera bee lived in the north of the Swiss Alps. -- Denmark, F. (2019). Origin and protection of middle-European bees in Europe. Med. Weter, 75(11), 643-651.

Pete