Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2019 11:07:33 -0600
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Jose Villa <[log in to unmask]>
Putting these thoughts out there for consideration:

The epidemiology of diseases and pests in social insects may be quite
different from that in humans, mammals or vertebrates.  We have to be
cautious about applying the latter models to honey bees.  The mind
tends to drift towards personal or family experiences in the medical
field, or to the vast amount of information in the popular news
channels about diseases of humans and animals and plants.

In the mid 90s, I remember hearing a prediction from a chemist that our
perception of the number of man-made compounds out there would be
changed with the impending dramatic increased sensitivity of detection
methods.  Something similar has occurred with molecular detection
techniques.  We have to be cautious in the interpretation of data that
reports frequencies of detections of a virus, bacteria, or any other
agent in honey bees.  Many detections could be at non-infective levels
and could have no biological consequences.

There is growing evidence that social insects have unique ways of
coping with diseases and parasites with "social immunity".
 Oversimplifying a bit, but they may have forfeited the effort at
individual immunity, and the superorganism functions by eliminating
infected "cells", either through hygienic removal, or even altruistic
self-removal.  It makes a lot of sense to have such "techniques" in an
environment of crowdedness where contagions can spread easily.  By the
same token, in such an environment, it may be impossible for a
superorganism to become absolutely contagion free, therefore the need
for constant vigilance through social immunity.  The contagion free
model may work in humans and vertebrates, but not so well in social
insects.