From:
Brian Tamboline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2018 22:59:28 -0400
I felt I had to respond to some comments from Charles, and perhaps address a particular sort of elitism occasionally read as an undercurrent here on Bee-L.
Forgive me if my perceptions are wrong, I'm just putting this out there as food for thought.
There is no doubt in my mind that this forum is the creme de la creme as far as bee forums go. The expertise here is nonpareil, and the discussions have provided much for my mind to dwell upon.
I was sorry that Charles seemed to belittle the alternate forum, BS, since it fulfills a totally different role. Apologies if I misunderstood, Charles.
I avidly read both forums. I'm a relative newcomer to the bee world, but I have an inquiring mind and a voracious appetite for information regarding all things Bee.
This is where I come to read about and think about the Big Questions and Big Issues.
Beesource is where I go if I want to understand different ways to split or re-queen or do the everyday things that most here have long moved beyond.
I have my own filters for bs, as opposed to BS. There are some stellar advice providers on BS, some of whom also post here, although only occasionally. They should never be held in contempt, or looked at in a condescending way. They provide an invaluable service to novices and near-novices, and frankly, seem to be like voices of reason in a cacophony of Charlatinism.
I will not invoke names, but please accept that a place for basic education and information has a serious place and function in the bee world. Local Bee associations are not accessible to all. Eventually the grand-standers and self-promoters become obvious, but a lot of great information comes through. My thanks go to Lauri, Enj, Grozzie, and WesternW.
Lots of Bee keepers were not blessed with stellar education, and that should not be a barrier to entry to the endeavour.
Best regards,
Brian