HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Mann, Robbie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 17:09:25 +0000
Hi Mark,

A few years ago (2011) we recovered a faience apothecary jar from Galveztown, an 18th/19th century (ca. 1779 -1825) Spanish colonial village and fort in SE Louisiana.  It was inhabited primarily by Canary Islanders (the Isleņos) brought to Louisiana and settled in various communities surrounding New Orleans.  Over one-third of the over 400 settlers perished in the first year due to diseases such as smallpox.  I have long wondered if it might be possible to see what kinds of remedies were being concocted in apothecary jars like the one we found.  Although washed, the glaze is heavily (and deeply) crazed and I was wondering if it might be possible to detect residues in the crazing?  I have a graduate student coming in the fall who may be working on the ceramics from this site for her thesis and this might be an interesting question to pursue.

Just in case folks are wondering, faience makes up 86.0% of the tin-enameled earthenwares recovered at Galveztown, with only 14.0% being majolica. It is a Spanish colonial site with a very "French" material signature.

Best,
Rob

Rob Mann, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology