From:
Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 2020 16:35:11 -0500
Completely agree, but with the information I have and that most beekeepers don't have, I can sit on my hands or I can try to figure things out. The Nosema C is likely linked to poor fall nutrition, or and the lack of cleansing flights. Colonies in the same yard, that show no Nosema do fine, colonies with Nosema C struggle in Spring, have consumed higher amounts of honey, and have had much higher bee mortality. Very healthy colonies show clear signs of mid winter brood rearing.

I beekeep in the real world, so you hypothesize and try to determine the best course of action (practical beekeeping). I am really just trying to convey how one with some data collection can help improve their beekeeping practices. I don't believe many of you have to go ~200 days until your 1st cleansing flight. hence my focus on bee energetics, I need to ensure the lowest possible honey consumption to ensure the bees can make it through the winter. So far I have been very successful.

I am happy with 50% - 75% certainty. Some can't make a decision unless they know 100%.

Food for thought, how does one measure metabolic aging in bees? Wouldn't this be a critical factor in bees clustered for the winter? (Resting (Ecto) meta vs Active (Endo) meta). Does a hive disturbance like I showed a few posts ago "increase" the age meta age of the bee. If my calc is correct and the energy output increased by a factor of ~x5 for 2 days, did that bee just lose 10 days of possible life if the disturbance never occurred. My bees are running an Ultra marathon so every little bit counts. This year the bees have been hive bound since late September.

Peter, I enjoy your questioning it forces me to think and yes it can be frustrating but it comes with posting things in Bee-L.