From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 2020 07:13:13 -0500
Sadly I report that Dr John Thomas died recently. He and his wife have their names on the Texas A&M Bee Lab where I work part time.  He was head of extension entomology service for a long period of time before retiring several decades ago.  He was the primary force in raising money to build the current bee lab which also houses the Texas Apiary Inspection service. I am told he used a significant amount of his own money to seed this effort.

I met Dr Thomas when I first came here to do graduate work 45 years ago. We often talked about our experience in commercial beekeeping when we were younger. I will miss those little chats.  He was very smooth in his interaction with people.. no matter their education, life style or experience. It was Dr Thomas recommendation to the current head of the bee lab that I even considered taking the job at the bee lab.

It was reported to me that both Dr Thomas and his wife tested positive for Covid although I have no idea if this was the cause of his death.

Gene in Central Texas...