Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2020 11:11:23 -0400
Hi all
In the course of making a bibliography of the writing of Charlie Mraz, I discovered how inadequate online searching is for older stuff. Recent publications are all thoroughly indexed and works out of copyright seem to be pretty well represented. But there is a period of about 50 years in the middle where physical searching is still required. There simply is no way to find these works without going through the annual indexes of the publications and scouring for references. Right now I am finding this out about Lee H. Watkins (1908-1972) who wrote a lot about bees and other topics. A fascinating individual

> After a brief sojourn at Fresno State College, he attended the University of California at Berkeley; he did not take a degree because of some apparent block against foreign languages, a requirement for the baccalaureate degree that he could not complete.

(Lord knows I have been trying to get a handle on Spanish since I was first exposed to it in elementary school)

> he was an indefatigable talker and fairly prolific writer, he became, with respect to his two specialties -- anthropology and beekeeping -- the nearest thing on this side of the Atlantic to the informed, dedicated British amateur who, without benefit of academic position or higher degree, yet makes solid contributions to his subject.

(Here's to Lee, may he rest in peace.)

Partial Lee H. Watkins Bibliography

Wallis, E, Watkins, LH 1940. American practice of leaving the honey crop on the hives. Arena, Bee World, 21:7, 74-75
Watkins, LH 1940. The Control of European Foul Brood. Bee World, 2112, 111-113.
Watkins, LH 1940. – Gleanings in Bee Culture – Pages 501, 613, 689, 749
Watkins, LH 1950. Pollination service and moving bees. Gleanings in Bee Culture.  78-6.
Watkins, LH 1966. "The Truck Hauler's Hitch: A Boon to Migratory Beekeepers." Gleanings in Bee Culture. 94:522-26, 571. September . Illus. The beginning of bee travel by truck in California.
Watkins, LH 1967. Some historical notes on carbolic acid. Gleanings in Bee Culture, 9512, 726.
Watkins, LH 1968  The Myth of the Russian Bees in California - American Bee Journal, 1968
Watkins, LH 1968 "First Honey Bees in New England -- 1638?" American Bee Journal. 108:19. January .
Watkins, LH 1968 "Harbison's Vertical Queen Nursery," American Bee Journal, CVIII August , 322-323.
Watkins, LH 1968 "Mr. Buck's Importation of Bees to California," American Bee Journal, CVIII June , 232-233,
Watkins, LH 1968 "Some Comments on Pellett's History." American Bee Journal. 108:362-63. September .
Watkins, LH 1968. California’s first honey bees. Am Bee J, 108, 190-191.
Watkins, LH 1968. FIRST HONEYBEES IN SANDWICH ISLANDS. Gleanings in Bee Culture, 961, 48.
Watkins, LH 1969 "The Mahan-Parsons Italian Bee Controversy: A New Evolution." Part 1. American Bee Journal. 108:436-38. November 1968. Part 2. 108:475-78. December 1968. Part 3. 109:180-82. May .
Watkins, LH 1969. "John S. Harbison manuscripts in the Serra Museum." Amer Bee J
Watkins, LH 1969. John S. Harbison: California's first modern beekeeper. Agricultural History, 239-248.
Watkins, LH 1970. "Pacific Apiarian Society." Amer Bee J .