From:
"Janet L. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 2020 11:39:55 -0400
Ugh poor Mr. Quimby! This reminds me of the scene from the movie "More Than Honey" where the two older ladies, queen breeders, work the bees with cigars hanging from their lips, using cigar smoke as their bee pacifier. I would be puking in the bushes...

I have read in some old bee books that tobacco smoke is a good addition to the smoker fuel mix. I tried that once (shocked at how much pouch tobacco costs!) and ugh, me and my truck reeked of stale cigarette smoke. The pouch went in the trash.

I now fuel the smoker with white wood chips (aka hamster bedding) and wood pellets (aka horse stall bedding), both are fabulously inexpensive, light quickly especially with a propane torch (flame ON!!), and smoke for-evah.

In the fall I save and dry my catmint trimmings and sprinkle that into the wood pellet bin. Don't know if the bees care for the fragrance but the beekeeper sure does.