From:
Peter Armitage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2020 08:37:46 -0500
I’m reading the news (with visuals) about the devastating conflagrations in Australia and wondering about the impact on apiculture there. Is there any information to report in this regard?  Trevor?

I am reminded of the forest fire problems in BC (Canada) during the summers of 2017 and 2018. BC Honey Producers’ Association president, Kerry Clark, wrote the following in the fall 2018 issue of BEESCENE. “Breaking news just before printing: In the first two weeks of August, the wildfire situation in BC flared up.  By the second week we have more wildfires than the devastating 2017 [ones], though the total area is less.  Some regions like the Cariboo, who were hit hard last year, have problems again: thousands of people with property damage or having to be evacuated.  Among them will be beekeepers. Our Best Wishes to all affected, and hopes that all will be safe.”