From:
Deborah Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2020 07:46:53 -0500
> Our industry is based upon the perception of naturalness and purity.
Manufacturers and beekeepers should keep that in mind.

One wonders how the manufacturer got so far in development without anyone raising this issue. What beekeeper advisors were consulted? Where was the demand in the marketplace? First and second year beekeepers who don't know what they need? Or were they trying to create the instant honey super for sideliner and commercial? I will be contacting Hexacells with these questions as well. I am sorry that they have invested time and money in this product, but it is not a good or necessary product for the industry if it contaminates natural beeswax.

As many of you point out, there are bee health concerns as well. Three years of testing (how many hives, control group, etc.) is not long in the life of a product that could be in use for 5 to 10 years or more (if a honey super).

Bee equipment suppliers now offer plastic foundation with one or two coats of extra beeswax to improve bee acceptance so beekeepers don't even have to paint on the extra wax (but fresher may be better).

I am afraid that without education, many new beekeepers will fall for the slick marketing that this is "the newest innovation in 21st century beekeeping". A decade ago the push was Top Bar hives so the wax was naturally drawn by bees - now we want full synthetic wax?

I agree that we need to protect the pure and natural image of beekeeping. We need to keep the fascination that we feel when we see bees create hexagonal cells and use them to grow the colony and create combs full of honey. Cut comb honey in food grade, virgin, synthetic wax doesn't have the same appeal.

Debbie Hewitt in Maryland