Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2019 17:13:37 -0600
Hi Jerry et al:

A while ago there was some interest in what bee sounds were being used for
determining the state of bee hives. In the last few days I have been making
up nucleus hives in three frame boxes by taking a frame of sealed brood, a
frame of pollen and honey and a more or less empty frame from a strong
colony. Naturally I look over the frames to avoid taking the queen, but
seeing her is much more positive than not seeing her - I often make
mistakes.

These mistakes can be rectified by waiting a few minutes and listening to
the bees in the nuc box. If they are queenless they are quite noisy, if they
are quiet and nice you had better listen to the hive they were taken from -
if it is noisy you are very likely to have taken their queen.

Best Regards

Donald Aitken, Edmonton Alberta

53° 41' 51" N 113° 37' 32" W