From:
Deborah Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2019 10:08:08 -0400
In the Annapolis, MD area, black locust starts around May 1st and lasts about a week. It is usually knocked down from rain and winds, but this year the weather was better than the last couple. We're already past tulip poplar as well, and any other sources of surplus will likely be done in a couple of weeks. It would be great to have a nectar flow all summer and fall.

The Dutch clover seems to be having a banner year for blooms after having twice our normal rain last year, but I am not seeing bees on it. Dr. C.C. Miller wrote that Dutch clover was his primary nectar source in Illinois in the 1900's, but I do not hear of beekeepers in my area getting honey from it. Any ideas why that may be?

Thanks,
Debbie Hewitt in Maryland