From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2019 06:24:24 -0500
a couple of Justin Kay comments followed by > my question or comments
If I remember correctly, one of the 3 "northern" queens came from Mike Palmer,
and one of the two "southern" queens came from RWeaver. While both actively
select for varroa resistance, the breeders weren't selected for that
reason, but instead because they rear "locally adapted" stock.

>I am guessing here Justin that you are confusing RWeaver with BWeaver... only one selects and produces queens for varroa resistance and 'locally adapted stock'? < I am never quite certain what that phrase means??? RWeaver sells several types of bees including what they call Buckfast which I do not think would qualify as 'local'. Both Weavers use to sell what they call 'All American' or 'All Stars' which was your basic commercial Italian stock. BWeaver now only sell 'resistant stock'...

What was interesting is that northern and southern stock did equally as
well. Hive weight had a large predictor of success, but physical location
and diversity of forage was the largest predictor of overall success.

>This was the intention (original hypothesis tested) for the study.  As in a lot of biological studies go (as far as my own experience seems to suggest) you may note in the article the author shift attention to the how weight of the hive at a given point in the season was the largest predicator to whether they survived or not.  I was not real clear as to the location, the nectar source or any comments concerning the season when I read the article???

Gene in Central Texas.....