From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2018 12:19:49 -0500
As Pete points out we have devolved into a semantic argument over the term "Treatment Free". I was never any good in English class, can't spell and can't memorize rules. For THIS LIST in order to promote accurate communication I propose that we all agree that any hive manipulation, chemical application, apiary location, or any other intervention preformed for the purpose of controlling the naturally occurring varroa population be defined and recognized as a treatment. The English majors can argue over definitions as well as how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

If we are seeking bees that can deal with varroa on their own it means just that. Legitimate research and breeding will find and develop these bees only by not interfering with their natural behavior. Please, at least here, don't say "I don't treat but I...... (fill in the blank) and varroa is not a problem". In the mean time we ordinary beekeepers should properly use all the tools available according to our goals and preferences to treat for and control varroa.

While I'm at it, Randy is right. Resistance is the ability to control the problem. Tolerance is the ability to live with the problem.

I feel a little better, I think I'll take a nap.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA