Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 2020 03:42:58 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
David Evans <[log in to unmask]>
With apologies PLB ... fat fingers and misplaced reading glasses is my excuse ;-)

I certainly don't disagree that the _naming_ of viruses is a shambles. It's a complete dog's breakfast. Some are named after places (Ebola), some after after diseases (FMDV, DWV), some after the organism it was first isolated from (VDV-1) and some for another arbitrary reason. But underlying that there are some very clear patterns of both distinct and distant genetic relatedness. Even if the genome is segmented vs non segmented this is still recognisable. Of course, all this similarity is also a probably a consequence of convergent evolution and gene exchange through recombination and reassortment.