Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 2020 18:14:19 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
David Evans <[log in to unmask]>
In the UK there are national guidelines http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/downloadNews.cfm?id=172 but bee equipment suppliers are all closed for anything other than mail order.

Our government is finally starting to take enforcement of social distancing more seriously with threats to increase the lockdown - no exercise outside etc. Too many people have flouted the rules, and continue to.

I agree with some of the comments from Dick Cryberg. Isolation is the only game in town if we do not want to lose hundreds of thousands of people (UK estimates, low million+ in USA). At some point, and it's fast being reached, the health system stops having capacity to cope. You might be maintaining social distance, but if you crash your truck visiting an out apiary and need ICU and all the beds are filled with Covid-19 patients then it's not going to end well. The same applies to someone crashing their truck on the way to collect a package of bees from you.

All the predictions of deaths I've seen have ignored all these collateral cases. Certainly the Imperial College paper did.

SARS-CoV-2 can be spread by aerosols, not just droplets. This means it hangs around in the air and spreads in spaces with little air movement - like a store. I've not been in a store for 3 weeks tomorrow.

I'm resigned to losing the beekeeping season. If they enforce a complete lockdown - which may still be needed -  feeding and treating (for amateurs like me) will have to stop. I'm going to pile the honey supers on and cross my fingers.

Spare a thought also for Sub-Saharan Africa where the predictions for fatalities are at least an order of magnitude higher than the figures being discussed for the UK or USA.

Stay safe.