Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 4 May 2019 09:54:03 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Randy > I find it of great interest to compare the evolution of two
largely-unmanaged populations of honey bees, after being invaded by
varroa.  The two populations that I'm referring to are *A. m. scutellata* in
South Africa, and the European-African hybrid bees in the Americas.  Yes,
both have large managed populations, but matings often largely are
determined by wild-living "ferals."

To add even more interest, there is a third population of wild-living scutellata that reside in Kenya where we know something about their path toward varroa tolerance/resistance.  It took about six years from the onset of a noticeable population decline from varroosis until varroa became, and remain,  an inconsequential pest.  In the case of Kenya, the beekeepers observed the varroa but did nothing to aid the bees.  Some combination of behavior and environmental factors must be at play.

Bill Hesbach