From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2020 07:20:01 -0500
I have worked in several 'near European Union' countries - currently
Moldova - helping beekeepers and honey processors meet EU food safety
standards so they can export honey to the EU.  The National Honey Board has
a fact sheet informing American beekeepers how to meet the standards so
they can export to the EU.  I came across this quote recently that offers
an interesting contrast in EU and American food safety standards:

"The EU bans its imports on the basis of the precautionary principle, which
says there must be scientific evidence proving something is safe for it to
be allowed.  America flips that burden of proof; in order for a product to
be banned there must be scientific evidence proving it is unsafe."

  The Economist 2/1/2020

Bill Lord

Louisburg, NC