From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2020 17:00:41 -0600
a Ted Hancock snip followed by > my comment
PS. The beekeeping industry also tends to fall off the IPM wagon when dealing with varroa, relying on a single chemical control until a new one comes along. Some beekeepers now use Oxalic Acid Vapour (OAV) exclusively for varroa control because it is inexpensive. They argue that IPM principals don’t apply with OAV because varroa “cannot” develop resistance to it, and OAV doesn’t harm the environment (but keep your mask on). Shouldn’t we play it safe and stick with science?

>As suggest by our newest phd graduate from the bee lab at Texas A&M it also seem that the IPM model is turned up on it head.  That is the proper protocol is to start at the base of the pyramid and work your way up, but in regards to bees and varroa we started at the top of the pyramid and now have to work our way downward. It seems the legal chemical were approved on an 'emergency' bases and you can make an argument that oxalic (approved in some forms but not in other) falls in the middle of the IPM pyramid.

Gene in Central Texas....