From:
Deborah Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2020 09:01:35 -0500
Thank you, Randy, for contacting the manufacturer. It is great to hear that they are considering solutions to keep the synthetic wax out of the beeswax supply. Color and/or a radioactive isotope would be reassuring. While beekeepers could try to keep the combs marked, the bees will move the wax, so the wax from the entire hive would be compromised.

What prevents the manufacturer from using beeswax for the formed comb rather than developing synthetic wax?

I am not sure which customers are requesting the product. Is it for the backyard beekeeper with a package or nuc - who should see how the colony draws wax and builds the nest? BetterComb is expensive for a commercial beekeeper, but would the initial investment pay for itself on a honey flow?

I don't know how many hobby beekeepers sell wax back, but I would think many commercial beekeepers do. The beeswax supply for foundation, candles, and cosmetics needs to be 100% beeswax.

Thanks so much.

Debbie Hewitt in Maryland