From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2019 13:06:44 -0500
It is always fun to see what Pete has been able to dig up and I hope he continues to post these nuggets of wisdom to help us weary beekeepers perfect our craft. I and I believe most on this list have been confined by the dreary pursuit of knowledge based on science, data, observation, and provable replication. How foolish of us to overlook the plain facts abundant in the historic literature. Even today we do not learn from  "alternative " beekeepers , and in many cases people that have not muddied their knowledge by actually keeping any bees. Who after only a season or two have found perfect solutions to problems that have vexed the most studious and experienced among us. It is a revelation to me to realize that then, as now, the real path to truth and success will be found in the popular press and media. The light shines brightest from those not blighted by experience or unencumbered by the thought process.  I hope that librarians and technicians are taking all due efforts to preserve for future generations of ignorant beekeepers the obvious and undeniable facts and techniques available to any contemporary beekeeper with access to a computer or smart phone.

Thinking that the more things change the more they stay the same. ;-)

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA