From:
"Janet L. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2019 06:01:19 -0500
"Honey is not only the best, but the most natural of all food, and will go much farther if it is mixed well with a moderate quantity of good sweet wort. Some prescribe toasts of bread sopped in strong ale, and put into the bee-hive, whereof they will not leave one crumb remaining; some also advise to put into the hive dry meat, or flour of beans; others bay salt, roasted apples, &c. which are very good, especially salt; which if some were mixed with water, and always set near them, it might do well, as it is certain that bees near the sea always thrive the best.

John Mortimer (1708) The whole art of husbandry

posted by PLB"

While one wonders about Mr. Mortimer's credentials, I am very curious as to how, in 1708, these supplemental feedings were administered. Wouldn't the general housing for bees at this time have been skep hives? How then, did they put all these things into the hives?

And how, I wonder, did they defend the hive provisions from enterprising raccoons, mice etc.?

A pity we cannot invite Mr. Mortimer to give a presentation at our next bee conference!