From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 2019 04:14:23 -0700

> >Wondering if anyone has a hypothesis regarding the apparent harmlessness
> of repeated Oxalic acid vaporization treatments to bees?

Saskia Schneider's research indicates that the microcrystals of OA that
result from vaporization are quickly groomed off the bees.  So long as they
are kept dry, they do not appear to penetrate the bees' cuticle.  Since the
nurse bees apparently avoid eating them (due to lack of associated sugar),
they do not appear to get fed to the brood.  Thus, repeated vaporization
does not exhibit any obvious adverse effect on the colony (my own
observations), at least during the summer.

That said, as Brian points out, don't expect a strong reduction in mites
from vapor treatments while there is active broodrearing.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA