Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2019 18:44:17 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
a Bill T snip followed by > my comment 
George Imire in his Pink Pages probably was the originator of BEEHAVERS,

>It would be interesting to get a time stamp on this statement.  Quite often when I hear this kind of speculation I reflect on what Jared Diamond said about steam engines and who gets the credit for inventing them.

>As a reference the first time I heard the phrase was in the early 1980's (1983 or 1984) from my commercial beekeeping employer.  It seems the origin of the phrase for him was at least 10 years before that when at 'socialite' type parties in Dallas that some of the well to do would brag in parties about 'having bees'.  In conversation with my former boss it seems the phrase reappears anytime beekeeping becomes fashionable.

>some of the younger and more ambitious younger set of beekeepers I am rearing here seem quite comfortable in saying in public... 'sometimes I am a beekeeper and sometimes I am a beehaver'. This does suggest to me a certain flexibility in mind set and in bee practice.

>I would suggest one should not confuse thoughtful reflection and patience with not doing anything.  Sometimes doing nothing is preferable to doing something that only makes things worse.  Some of the early emergency treatments for varroa are good examples of where addressing some problem in the short run cost you dearly in the long run.

>imho the pink pages are and excellent resources..

Gene in Central Texas...

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2