Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:48:29 -0400
> So I will pose this question to you all: what should beekeepers be doing to reduce/end/ and also remediate Nosema

A new report came out on this subject. Some key points.

1) No new work is reported in the paper. 4 pages of discussion and 4 pages containing 100 references.

2) No real discussion of what Nosema ceranae actually does, other than to state: Severe N. ceranae infections (nosemosis) can cause bee mortality and have been correlated with colony losses. I would remind our readers that correlation does not prove causation. He lists work from 2008: "How natural infection by Nosema ceranae causes honeybee colony collapse."

3) He also lists work from 2012 by Brenna Traver and Rick Fell, "Comparison of within hive sampling and
seasonal activity of Nosema ceranae in honey bee colonies." What they actually say is pretty much the opposite: "We observed very little impact of Nosema infections on either colony growth or productivity, suggesting that ... treatment may not be necessary."

4) He mentions several dozen potential Nosema treatments. I guess the criterion is that is if somebody tried it, include it. Relative efficacy is not really discussed, other than to state that Resveratrol, P. apium, Bacillus sp., Bactocell, and Levucell SB -- none of these lowered spore counts in bees -- if you want to know what these things are you have to dig up the references.

5) The research of AB was unfunded. -- that's a relief, considering that the author seems to have simply read everything on the subject and given a brief overview about what some people think might work. Except, obviously we have to chase down the references to find out what they actually did and said themselves.

Source: Frontiers in Veterinary Science | www.frontiersin.org 8 March 2019 | Volume 6 | Article 79