Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2019 13:14:18 -0500
> If this were true, then DWV would need to evolve to successfully reproduce in two very different hosts (bee and mite), which might strongly affect  its evolution.

Not sure if it would "need to" -- iflaviruses are shared among various species. However, one would expect that if viruses were replicating in mites that they would evolve a distinct subpopulation, characterized by specific mutations. Has anybody tried to differentiate between viruses found in mites and those in honey bees?

Peter L Borst

P.S., I think this is a worthwhile topic. Me, I have no money riding on any bets.