From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2019 19:27:49 -0500
>By contrast, when we injected inoculum containing high levels of DWV strain A, DWV viral levels rapidly
decreased, most likely owing to competition with SBV and BQCV. Interestingly, injecting high levels of DWV strain A
into pupae did not result in the death of the pupae, indicating that this strain of DWV does not kill developing brood
despite its association with V. destructor. Injecting high levels of SBV and BQCV did result in high mortality.

If it turns out that SBV and BQCV outcompete DWV, an interesting area of study would be how to use them as an anti-viral. But as the study pointed out, the wild card left out of this study was actual varroa and the level of DWV they're capable of producing and then vectoring. Varroa may also have immunosuppression capabilities.

Some of the work on DWV replication in varroa has already been done.

>We conclude that the development of crippled wings not only depends on DWV transmission by V. destructor but also on viral replication in V. destructor and on the DWV titre in the parasitizing mites.

>Deformed wing virus: replication and viral load in mites (Varroa destructor)
Sebastian Gisder, Pia Aumeier, and Elke Genersch

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT