Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 2020 08:15:46 +1000
From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
In Australia we stopped using the 60lb tins around the late 1970's early 1980's.   These tins would sometimes rust if not dried properly when washed out.

We went into 44gal galvanised drums.  They were not the open top barrels used in the US but a "normal" drum with two bungs on the top.  The bigger bung was about 2 inches.

We then stared the move over to Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBC) which held around 1.4 tonnes around the late 1980's early 1990's.  This was because of the extra zinc in the honey from the galvanised drums.  We had problems with some European countries that we exported honey to rejecting or wanting a price reduction because of elevated zinc levels.  We did try things like lining the 44 gallon drums with beeswax which did work but the IBC was less work so it became the norm and is still in use today.

For the smaller beekeeper Capilano made a PVC, I think, drum which held about 240kgs (about 530lbs) to replace the 44 gallon drum.  There were some other commercially available plastic drums which were also used.  Amateur beekeepers use the 20 litre plastic bucket which held about 27kgs (60lbs) but WHS caused a shift to 10 litre buckets which hold about 15kgs (33lbs).

Trevor Weatherhead
Australia