Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2020 20:26:57 -0400
7bit
Sender:
From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
> Still a bit curious about ground vibrations and any effects on the hives.
> Can find any studies about that.

Vibrations would be a bad thing.
If I was near a wind turbine, and felt vibrations, you would see me try to
set a new record for the 100-yard dash, as I would fear a seized bearing,
and at least a fire atop the tower, if not a rain of shrapnel from a
transmission grinding itself into a frenzy.

Such large machines should operate smoothly, and there should be no
vibration felt in the ground, or even on the surface of the support pylon or
tower.
Too much vibration, and one tears up the gearbox, which bankrupted at least
one company in the "massive wind turbine business".
Too much vibration at high rpms, and the blades would "feather"
automatically, to stop catching the wind, and take the turbine offline so as
to avoid tearing the thing apart.

The slower RPMs of the massive modern turbines means that the gear ratios on
these things are well over 1:100, to spin the generators, so this is not a
sturdy gearbox that can take a beating like the one in your car or truck, it
is more like a watch mechanism, scaled up.

I know of a few of these turbines within an easy bike ride of my Covid-19
refuge, so I will go see how close I can get, and if there are any
vibrations that can be detected with a laser level over some moderate
distance.

The silence of a happy well-oiled machine is the exact opposite of a happy
beehive.  No noise tends to mean no bees.