Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2020 16:38:49 +0000
From:
Seth Charbonneau <[log in to unmask]>
>The basic math doesn't make sense.

Perhaps better fed at the start leads to better feeding down the road?

"To test this hypothesis, we conducted a series of experiments manipulating the nutritional status of one day old larvae by depriving them of brood food for a four-hour period, and then allowing workers to choose larvae for rearing queens from nutritionally deprived and non-deprived larvae. We simultaneously investigated the role of genetic relatedness in selection of larvae for queen rearing. In all the experiments, significantly greater numbers of non-deprived larvae than deprived larvae were selected for queen rearing irrespective of genetic relatedness. Our results demonstrate that honey bees perceive the nutritional state of larvae and use that information when selecting larvae for rearing queens in the natural emergency queen replacement process."