Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2019 09:24:16 -0400
7bit
From:
Scott Koppa <[log in to unmask]>
> For sure that female is not a clone of the mother as the egg goes thru cross overs before the cell divisions that form the egg

Fair point, Dick, but no new genetic information has been added to the queen; it remains a closed loop. The codons remain intact, some are simply translocated to sister chromatids. I haven't reviewed meiosis in a bit, but I don't believe that the codons are split, rather they travel as a unit. I also did not remember crossing over to be a mandatory event (granted I may be mixing meiosis and mitosis). However, your point is taken, transcription will change following that event and the progeny will not be identical to the parent.

> Meiosis proceeds as normal to produce four haploid pronuclei. Two of the four pro-nuclei fuse, as if one acted as a sperm, thereby restoring diploidy and producing a female offspring that is essentially a clone of her mother

So, Pete, that suggests that the offspring (that show differing paired sex alleles--by your explanation if pronuclei with the same sex alleles pair they develop into diploid drones and are removed) are viable and allowed to develop?

Skillman, NJ