From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2018 07:11:26 -0700

> >Mentor instructed me to prophylactically treat my one overwintered colony
> with Fumagilin.

Suz, *N. ceranae* was very prevalent during its invasion in the early
2000s.  But here in my climate (rainy/snowy springs) I seldom see it to any
extent in my hives.  Since there appear to be potential adverse effects
from treatment, I'd agree with Don that you confirm that your colony is
actually infected before you apply fumagillin.

You should have little trouble finding a local beekeeper with a 'scope, or
check with USDA or BIP to see if they'll test.  If not, feel free to send
me a sample of 25 bees taken from under the lid, and I'll let you know if
indeed there is enough of an infection to worry about.

> I don't want to cross-contaminate healthy with unhealthy colonies.

What makes you think that the new nuc will not have more nosema than your
overwintered hive?

>  Add 1 tsp Honey B Healthy;   Add 1 tsp Amino B Booster

Please let me know if you've seen any supportive evidence that either of
the two products above have any positive effect upon colony health--such
evidence would be relatively easy for the manufacturer to obtain and
publish for review by others.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA