Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2019 01:51:23 -0500
My helpful hint was developed after my husband Clifford suffered a stroke and could no longer lift a super using the cut outs. He thought he would have to give up his wonderful hobby. I suggested we purchase screen door handles and screw them on and it worked perfectly and not too expensively for a hobbiest beekeeper. I know it won’t work well for larger apiaries where stacking supers close together is a space requirement, but for four hives it made it possible to continue keeping bees.

Another problem Clifford had was uncapping because holding the frame was difficult due to his handicap. So I bought a carpenters wood clamp, two channels from Dadants extractors and had them welded a frames distance apart on the clamp. I clamp it to the work bench over the uncapping tank, slide the full honey frame into the channels and only need one hand to uncap the frame.

Clifford died ten years ago,  but I am stilling managing our bees with lots of help from my friends and still use these helpful tools. Hope they help someone else who is getting a little older or arthritic. Bee well! Conni Still

Sent from my iPad