From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2018 22:51:20 -0400
Online publishing promised affordable publishing, access to all.  Ha   I now getting daily offerings like the one Peter mentioned.  They all invite a paper, the more aggressive ones cite one of my published papers, encourage invited paper with fast turn around, all for a fee that's higher than print journals.

Then there are the endless international workshops - Stephanie in China sends me endless invites.  One for our Fulbright faculty  exchanges from India has turned this into a fine art - he doesn't do research, he puts on workshops.

We now have to caution our students - just because you get an invite to publish, speak, etc. doesn't mean they aren't more interested in either making money, getting access to your work (China is famous for that), or both.

And  I really like the ambush philosophy of online.  Publish your paper, then if someone decides to submit an article that disagrees with one's findings, 24 hrs before it's published, they ask whether you'd like to write a rebuttal for a measly $1500.