From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2018 15:22:55 -0500
ARTIFICIAL SWARMING OF BEES.

As the management of honey bees has been my sole business for these last twelve years, in the city of New York, I have thought it would not be amiss to give my own experience in a few particulars in regard to these industrious insects. Artificial swarming is not generally practised in this country, owing probably to the want of sufficient practical skill in most of those who apply themselves to bee husbandry.

The general period proper for the operation, is about eight or ten days previous to the time when natural swarms might be looked for.

[The method for] forming artificial swarms, and the one I generally practise, is to drive about two thirds of the bees out of the old hive with their queen, into one that is empty. Then, I immediately replace the old hive on its former station, and remove the new one containing the queen, to a little distance. As the former will have a plenty of eggs and young brood, there will be no trouble in procuring another queen.

Edward Townley. New York, May 1st, 1848.

Note:
This was written before the widespread adoption of frames. The operation is easier with frames: the bulk of the bees, the queen, and half the brood can be placed in the split, in order to “hold” the bees to the new hive. The remaining hive gets half the brood, most of the flying bees, and enough nurses to care for the brood.

PLB