HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Timothy Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2016 16:57:00 -0400
Hi Jodi-
Please do report back to the list what you try and how it works!

In the past, I’ve worked with students to do this type of survey ourselves using basic garden testing gear that allowed us to test pH, phosphorous, nitrogen, and calcium (as I remember). The garden tester kits are good and very simple, but they give very coarse results (compare the color to a chart) that leaves you with poor resolution.

I used a testing kit like those by LaMotte you can buy at Forestry Suppliers:
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/search.asp?stext=soil%20test <http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/search.asp?stext=soil%20test>

The ones I see on Amazon, like this one, should not be trusted.
http://www.amazon.com/Luster-Leaf-1601-Rapitest-Soil/dp/B0000DI845/ref=zg_bs_tab_pd_mw_2 <http://www.amazon.com/Luster-Leaf-1601-Rapitest-Soil/dp/B0000DI845/ref=zg_bs_tab_pd_mw_2>
are generally not reviewed very well:
http://www.houselogic.com/by-room/yard-patio/soil-testing/ <http://www.houselogic.com/by-room/yard-patio/soil-testing/>

Two years ago, I worked with another student to use pXRF to try and improve that, trying to map metals in soil. The results were good and much more refined, but the also report elements and not molecular results- so you would get nitrogen, but not nitrate/nitrite.

I’d love to hear what you figure out!
Cheers,
Tim